,
Message sent from:
South Street, Enfield, Middlesex, EN3 4LA

St. Matthew's National School for Infants, Ponders End, opened in 1840. In 1873 it was described as a mixed school for 120 children and in 1882 the infants, numbering about 100, were moved to rented premises ΒΌ mile away.

In 1906, junior girls and infants were reunited in South Street, where there was an attendance of 291 in 1919. In 1970, the school which was Voluntary Aided, remained in the building of 1840 and had 103 infants enrolled.  Today the school is a one form entry Church of England Primary School for boys and girls between the ages of four and eleven.

Many reminders of the history of the school are still visible today in the original part of the building.

st matthews Nov 2009 095